I have also noticed that since English is widely understood, many more commercials & advertisements are in English. And because of this, there are definitely not as many mistakes on signs or billboards. But some still slip through. Like this one I found in the paper.
Sunday, October 3, 2010
You say tomato . . . I say 'Cherry or Roma'?
As an initial observation of Bahrain, most everyone speaks English. Because not everyone speaks Arabic. There's the Middle Eastern contingent that speaks the native tongue. But then there's the imported people; Phillipinos, Indians, etc. People speak Hindu, Nepalese, Tagalog, and a variety of other dialects. That makes it kind of hard to speak to someone in their 'native language'. So English is the go-to mode of communication and whaddaya know, that's my first language. Pretty convenient for me, no?
I have also noticed that since English is widely understood, many more commercials & advertisements are in English. And because of this, there are definitely not as many mistakes on signs or billboards. But some still slip through. Like this one I found in the paper.
Is 'discomfortable' a word? I don't think so. (I checked merriam webster) Thomas, you're wrong! There were many phrases to keep me entertained in Egypt. Like putting 'saloon' instead of 'salon'. I wonder what they put in their hair coloring treatment? I think the biggest difference is that they use British English expressions, so some things sound 'almost right'.
'To Let'; forgive me, every time I see this, the juvenile 13 year old boy in me wants to put an ' i ' right between those two words. 'For Rent' would seem more natural to me, but that's just me. There is also another sign around here that I *have* to get a picture of. It precedes all the speed bumps. It says, "Humps Ahead". Just wait, I'll get it.
I have also noticed that since English is widely understood, many more commercials & advertisements are in English. And because of this, there are definitely not as many mistakes on signs or billboards. But some still slip through. Like this one I found in the paper.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm glad i'm not the only one who giggles at "humps ahead." LOL That said, as 12-year-old as my brain is i have never thought about putting the "i" between To Let. Now i'm going to think it every time. Thanks!! *grin*
Too funny! I love to find English used differently.
Post a Comment